Thursday 5 September 2013

ARSENAL CAPTAIN THOMAS VERMAELEN EYES COMEBACK


Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen has revealed that he is fighting hard to return to action for his club after an injury lay-off.

He believes he will be fit to play against West Brom in the Capital One Cup clash at the Hawthorns later this month.

The Defender aggravated a back injury before the club’s tour of Asia and missed out in the entire preseason.

However, with the international break imminent, Vermaelen is eying a comeback for Arsenal for their third round encounter at the Hawthorns later this month.

Manager Arsene Wenger preferred to partner Per Mertesacker with Laurent Koscielny and only started his captain once, when Mertesacker was suspended for the home win over Norwich.

And with Koscielny and Mertesacker established at the heart of the Arsenal back line, the cup encounter could be seen as a perfect opportunity for Vermaelen to get a game under his belt.

"The West Brom game is a few weeks away yet and hopefully I will be closer to a return myself in the meantime," Vermaelen told reporters.

"I can't put a date on my comeback yet, as it depends on how I respond to the physical work I am doing, but I am focusing day by day and am really happy with how things are going so far."

No comments:

Post a Comment